Faculty & Staff
Di Wu, PhD
Di Wu, Ph.D.
Associate Professor & Founding Director of Alexandra Navrotsky Institute for Experimental Thermodynamics
Heterogeneous catalysis, porous materials, surface science, materials chemistry, thermodynamics, nanogeoscience and nanotechnology
Office: 107 Wegner Hall 📞509-335-3757
The Gene and Linda Voiland
School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering
1505 Stadium Way, Room 105
P.O. Box 646515
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-6515
Di Wu is interested in the general topic of Thermodynamics of Materials. His research lies at the blurry interfaces between surface science, materials chemistry, nanogeoscience and nanotechnology. Using calorimetry as the unique tool, his group reveal the energetic landscape of materials and minerals, and investigate the fundamental guest – host interaction mechanisms at interfaces surfaces and in nanopores. His work advances chemical and materials industries by enabling stable materials and heterostructures for alternative and sustainable energy, petrochemical conversion, environmental remediation, and nanomedicine. The specific research focuses include,
- Confinement Chemistry: encapsulation and intercalation
- Adsorption Calorimetry
- Porous Materials: zeolites, metal–organic frameworks, and mesoporous oxides
- 2D, Layered, and Electrochemical Materials: layered double hydroxides (LDHs), graphene and MXenes
- Ceramics: A2B2O7, perovskite, carbides and nitrides
- Catalytic Material Characterization
- Geochemistry: mineral hydration, kerogen, shale rocks, clays and natural zeolites
Di Wu earned his B.S. from Zhejiang University, China in 2006, M.S. from the University of Akron in 2008, and Ph.D. from the University of California, Davis in 2012, all in Chemical Engineering. He was a postdoctoral fellow at the Peter A. Rock Thermochemistry Laboratory and NEAT ORU at the University of California, Davis from 2013. In the summer of 2016, he joined the Gene and Linda Voiland School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering at Washington State University as an Assistant Professor.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, University of California, Davis – Davis, CA, 2012
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Akron – Akron, OH, 2008
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Zhejiang University – Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China, 2006
- Founding Director – Alexandra Navrotsky Institute for Experimental Thermodynamics, Washington State University, 2017–present
- Assistant Professor – Voiland School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering, Washington State University, 2016–present
- Affiliate Assistant Professor – Department of Chemistry, Washington State University, 2016–present
- Affiliate Assistant Professor – Materials Science and Engineering Program, Washington State University, 2016–present
- Postdoctoral Fellow – Peter A. Rock Thermochemistry Laboratory and NEAT ORU, University of California, Davis, Davis, CA, 2013–2016
Membership in Professional Organizations
- American Chemical Society
- American Geophysical Union
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- American Society for Engineering Education
- Geological Society of America
- Mineralogical Society of America
- X. Zhang, N. Chaudhary, M. R. Hawkins, C. B. Cockreham, C. Yang, J. Shangguan, A. J. R. Hensley, YH. Chin, S. Ha, JS. McEwen, D. Wu, "Determining the Hydration Energetics on Carbon-Supported Ru Catalysts: An Adsorption Calorimetry and Density Functional Theory Study", Catal. Today 2020, in press
- X. Zhang, C. B. Cockreham, Z. Huang, H. Sun, C. Yang, O. M. Flores, B. Wang, X. Guo, S. Ha, H. Xu, D. Wu, "Thermodynamics of Water–Cationic Species–Framework Guest–Host Interactions within Transition Metal Ion-Exchanged Mordenite Relevant to Selective Anaerobic Oxidation of Methane to Methanol", J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2020, 11 (12), 4774-4784.
- X. Zhang, C. B. Cockreham, E. Yılmaz, G. Li, N. Li, S. Ha, L. Fu, J. Qi, H. Xu, D. Wu, "Energetic Cost for Being “Redox-Site-Rich” in Pseudocapacitive Energy Storage with Nickel – Aluminum Layered Double Hydroxide Materials", J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2020, 11 (9), 3745-3753.
- Z. Huang, M. Zhou, Z. Cao, Z. Tang, Y. Zhang, J. Duan, J. Qi, X. Guo, T. Lu, D. Wu, "He Irradiation-induced Lattice Distortion and Surface Blistering of Gd2Zr2O7 Defect-fluorite Ceramics", J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 2020, 103 (5), 3425-3435.
- C. B. Cockreham, X. Zhang, V. G. Goncharov, X. Guo, H. Xu, D. Wu, “Dehydration Pathway of CoF2·4H2O Revisited by Integrated Ex Situ and In Situ Calorimetric and Structural Studies”, J. Phys. Chem. C 2020, 124 (6), 3551-3556.
- J. Wang, E. Yılmaz, R. Zhang, X. Guo, H. Sun, B. Wang, D. Wu, “Hydration Energetics of a Diamine-appended Metal – Organic Framework Carbon Capture Sorbent”, J. Phys. Chem. C 2020, 124 (1), 398-403.
- C. B. Cockreham, X. Zhang, H. Li, J. Sun, Y. Wang, H. Xu, D. Wu, “Inhibition of AlF3·3H2O Impurity Formation in Ti3C2Tx MXene Synthesis under a Unique CoFx/HCl Etching Environment”, ACS Appl. Energy Mater. 2019, 2 (11), 8145-8152.
- G. Li, X. Zhang, D. Qiu, C. Yang, C. Cockreham, Z. Liu, B. Wang, L. Fu, J. Zhang, B. Sudduth, X. Guo, H. Sun, Z. Huang, J. Qi, J. Sun, S. Ha, Y. Wang, D. Wu, "Tuning Ni/Al Ratio to Enhance Pseudocapacitive Charge Storage Properties of Nickel – Aluminum Layered Double Hydroxide", Adv. Electron. Mater. 2019, 5 (8), 1900215.
- Z. Huang, N. Ma, J. Qi, X. Guo, M. Yang, Z. Tang, Y. Zhang, Y. Han, D. Wu, T. Lu, "Defect-Fluorite Gd2Zr2O7 Ceramics under Helium Irradiation: Amorphization, Cell Volume Expansion, and Bubble Formation", J. Am. Ceram. Soc. 2019, 102 (8), 4911-4918.
- D. Qiu, L. Fu, C. Zhan, J. Lu, D. Wu, “Seeding Iron Trifluoride Nanoparticles on Reduced Graphite Oxide for Lithium-Ion Batteries with Enhanced Loading and Stability”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2018, 10 (35), 29505-29510.
- G. Li, H. Sun, H. Xu, X. Guo, D. Wu, “Probing the Energetics of Molecule – Material Interactions at Interfaces and in Nanopores”, J. Phys. Chem. C 2017, 121 (47), 26141-26154. (Invited Review Article, featured as Front Cover).
- L. Fu, H. Yang, Y. Hu, D. Wu, A. Navrotsky, "Tailoring Mesoporous γ-Al2O3 Properties by Transition Metal Doping: A Combined Experimental and Computational Study", Chem. Mater. 2017, 29, 1338-1349.
- N. Liu, X. Guo, A. Navrotsky, Li Shi, D. Wu, "Thermodynamic Complexity of Sulfated Zirconia Catalysts", J. Catal. 2016, 342, 158-163.
- H. Sun, D. Wu, K. Liu, X. Guo, A. Navrotsky, “Energetics of Alkali and Alkaline Earth Ion-exchanged Zeolite A”, J. Phys. Chem. C 2016, 120 (28), 15251-15256.
- D. Wu, X. Guo, H. Sun, A. Navrotsky, “Energy Landscape of Water and Ethanol on Silica Surfaces”, J. Phys. Chem. C 2015, 119 (27), 15428-15433.
- D. Wu, X. Guo, H. Sun, A. Navrotsky, “Thermodynamics of Methane Adsorption on Copper HKUST-1 at Low Pressure”, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 2015, 6 (13), 2439-2443.
- D. Wu, A. Navrotsky, “Probing the Energetics of Organic – Nanoparticle Interactions: Ethanol on Calcite”, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2015, 112, 5314-5318.
- D. Wu, A. Navrotsky, “Thermodynamics of Metal – Organic Frameworks”, J. Solid State Chem. 2015, 223, 53-58
- Z. Quan, D. Wu, J. Zhu, W. H. Evers, J. M. Boncella, L. A. Siebbeles, Z. Wang, A. Navrotsky, H. Xu, “Energy Landscape of Self-Assembled Superlattices of PbSe Nanocrystals”, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2014, 111, 9054-9057.
- D. Wu, S. Hwang, S. I. Zones, A. Navrotsky, “Guest – Host Interactions of a Rigid Organic Molecule in Porous Silica Frameworks”, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2014, 111, 1720-1725.
- D. Wu, J. J. Gassensmith, D. Gouvêa, S. Ushakov, J. F. Stoddart, A. Navrotsky, “Direct Calorimetric Measurement of Enthalpy of Adsorption of Carbon Dioxide on CD-MOF-2, a Green Metal – Organic Framework”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135 (18), 6790-6793.