James Petersen, Ph.D.
Director & Professor
James N. Petersen
Professor and Director
Gene and Linda Voiland School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering
Washington State University
telephone: (509) 335-4332
FAX: (509) 335-9608
Bioremediation of contaminated aqueous systems
Modeling of biological processing operations
On-line optimization of biological processes
- Iowa State University Professional Achievement Citation in Engineering, October 2004 (http://www.eng.iastate.edu/coe/profile/2004/medalawards.asp),
- Outstanding Research Faculty Member, WSU College of Engineering and Architecture, 1999.
- Outstanding Teaching Faculty Member, Chemical Engineering Department, Washington State University, 1985, 1987, 1989.
- Outstanding Research Faculty Member, Chemical Engineering Department, Washington State University, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999.
- Listed in 21st and 25th editions of Who’s Who in the West and in the 2nd and 3rd editions of Who’s Who of Emerging Leaders in America, 2004-2005 edition of Who’s Who in Executives and Professionals.
- Honorable Mention in Best Paper Award for papers appearing in Drying Technology during 1986‑1987 time period. The paper was entitled “Experimental Measurement of Temperature and Moisture Profiles During Apple Drying”, by W.-C. Chiang and J. N. Petersen.
- ASEE Pacific Northwest Dow Outstanding Young Faculty Member, 1985.
- Sigma Xi Research Honorary, Member
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honorary, Member
Board Memberships and other activities:
- Washington State Attorney General’s Technology Advisory Committee (2007 – present)
- Editorial Board, Biotechnology and Bioengineering, Jan 2003 – present
- American Council on Renewable Energy Higher Education Steering Committee, 2006 – present
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Laboratory Advisory Committee, 2006 – 2008
- Washington State University Research Foundation (2002 – 2008)
- Washington Technology Center (2002 – 2008), Vice Chair (2005-2006)
- Northwest Association for Biomedical Research (2003 – 2008)
- Spokane Intercollegiate Research and Technology Institute (SIRTI), 2006 – 2008
- Bio21 Steering Committee, (2002-2004). This service resulted in the report which can be found at http://www.technology-alliance.com/documents/bio21reportp2.pdf.
- Washington State Economic Development Council, Technology Commercialization Steering Committee (2004 – 2006). The final report can be found at http://www.research.wsu.edu/WaEconDevCommrpt.pdf.
- Governor’s 2006 Life Science Task Force. I co-chaired the “Invest in Research” element of the task force. The report can be found at: http://www.wabio.com/econ_dev_reports/WA_Growth_Strategy_2006.pdf.
- Northwest Environmental Business Council (2002 – 2003)
- Benchmarking Committee, Technology Alliance (2002 – 2008)
- Spokane Alliance for Medical Research (2002 – 2008)
- INTEC/Connect Northwest (2004 – 2005)
- INEEL Energy and Environmental Sciences Division Review Board (2004 – 2005)
- Member, Washington State University Faculty Senate, 1991 – 1994.
- Member, Academic Steering Committee for Computing and Telecommunications, Washington State University, August 1988 to 2000.
- Member, Biotechnology Steering Committee, Washington State University, May 1986 to August 1989.
- Member, College of Engineering Computing Committee, College of Engineering, Washington State University, September 1980 to August 1989.
- Chair, College of Engineering Computing Committee, College of Engineering, Washington State University, May 1985 to September, 1986, May 1988 to August 1989.
- Member, Wickenden Award Selection Committee of the American Society of Engineering Educators, 1985-1986.
- CACHE Representative, Department of Chemical Engineering, Washington State University, September 1983 to August 1989.
- Member, University Computing Advisory Committee, Washington State University, September 1981 to September 1982.
- Member, ASEE Constitution and Bylaws Committee, June 1981 to June 1984.
- ASEE Campus Activity coordinator, September 1980 to September 1981.