Faculty & Staff
Junming Sun, PhD
Junming Sun, Ph.D.
Assistant Research Professor & Major Professor
Working with Dr. Yong Wang
Bio-mass conversion (catalytic hydrodeoxygenation of bio-oil C-C coupling/steam reforming/hydrogenolysis/selective oxidation of biomass derived oxygenates) synthesis and interfacial catalysis of metal (oxide)/oxide
Office: 149 Wegner Hall 📞509-335-1880
The Gene and Linda Voiland
School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering
1505 Stadium Way, Room 105
P.O. Box 646515
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-6515
- Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Dalian, China, 2006
- M.Sc. Applied Chemistry, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, China, 2002
- B.Sc. Applied Chemistry, Qingdao University of Science & Technology, Qingdao, China, 1998
- Assistant Research Professor & Major Professor – Voiland School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering, Washington State University, Pullman, WA, USA, 12/2011–Present
- Postdoctoral Research Associate – Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), Richland, WA, USA, 12/2008–12/2011
- Postdoctoral Research Associate – Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of California, Davis, CA, USA, 04/2007–12/2008
- Guest Scientist – Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, China, 07/2006–04/2007
- Tuning surface acid-base properties of (mixed) metal oxides for C-C coupling of small oxygenates to olefins
- Functional control of (bi)metallic catalysts for hydrodeoxygenation and steam reforming reactions
- Syntheses and catalysis of nano-structured materials with controlled facets/particles size/pore structures
- Houqian Li, Junming Sun, Yong Wang “Surface Acetone Reactions on ZnxZryOz: A DRIFTS-MS study”, Applied Catalysis A: General, 2019, 573, 22-31. DOI: 10.1016/j.apcata.2019.01.007
- Rebecca AL Baylon, Junming Sun, Libor Kovarik, Mark Engelhard, Houqian Li, Austin D Winkelman, Yong Wang “Structural identification of ZnxZryOz catalysts for Cascade aldolization and self-deoxygenation reactions”, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 2018, 237, 337-346. DOI: 10.1016/j.apcatb.2018.04.051
- Jixiang Chen, Junming Sun, Yong Wang “Catalysts for steam reforming of bio-oil: A review”, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2017, 56, 4627-4637. DOI: 10.1021/acs.iecr.7b00600
- Rebecca A.L. Baylon, Junming Sun, Kevin J. Martin, Padmesh Venkitasubramanian and Yong Wang “Beyond ketonization: selective conversion of carboxylic acids to olefins over balanced Lewis acid–base pairs”, Chemical Communications, 2016, 52, 4975-4978.
- Junming Sun, Rebecca A.L. Baylon, Changjun Liu, Donghai Mei, Kevin J. Martin, Padmesh Venkitasubramanian and Yong Wang “Key roles of Lewis Acid-Base Pairs on ZnxZryOz in Direct Ethanol/Acetone to Isobutene Conversion” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2016, 2, 507-517.
- He Zhang, Junming Sun, Changjun Liu, Yong Wang “Distinct water activation on polar/non-polar facets of ZnO nanoparticles” Journal of Catalysis, 2015, 331, 57.
- Junming Sun, Yong Wang “Recent advances in catalytic conversion of ethanol to chemicals” ACS Catalysis, 2014, 4, 1078–1090. (Front cover page featured) DOI: 10.1021/cs4011343
- Junming Sun, Ayman M. Karim, He Zhang, Libor Kovarik, Xiaohong Shari Li, Alyssa J. Hensley, Jean-Sabin McEwen, and Yong Wang. “Carbon Supported Bimetallic Pd-Fe Catalysts for Vapor-phase Hydrodeoxygenation of Guaiacol” Journal of Catalysis 2013, 306, 47–57. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcat.2013.05.020
- Zhehao Wei, Junming Sun, Yan Li, Abhaya K. Datye, Yong Wang “Bimetallic catalysts for hydrogen generation” Chemical Society Reviews, 2012, 24, 7994-8008.
- Junming Sun, Kake Zhu, Feng Gao, Chongmin Wang, Jun Liu, Charles H.F. Peden, and Yong Wang. “Direct Conversion of Bio-ethanol to Isobutene on Nanosized ZnxZryOz Mixed Oxides with Balanced Acid-Base Sites”, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2011, 133, 11096. (C&EN highlighted) DOI: 10.1021/ja204235v
Publications listed at Google Scholar
The research of Dr. Junming Sun and Dr. Yong Wang was recently featured in ChemComm. See the PDF: Beyond ketonization. View the abstract of Dr. Sun’s catalysis research at ChemComm.
The research of Dr. Junming Sun and Dr. Yong Wang was recently featured in ChemComm. See the PDF overview about hierarchically structured catalysts. View the abstract of Dr. Sun’s catalysis research at ChemComm.
The research of Dr. Junming Sun and Dr. Yong Wang was recently featured on the cover of ACS Catalysis. Read more about Dr. Sun’s catalysis research.