Faculty & Staff
Kirk Schulz, Ph.D.
Professor, President of Washington State University
Catalysis, surface science, materials science
President’s website: https://president.wsu.edu
Office of the President
French Administration Bldg., Rm. 422
P.O. Box 641048
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-1048
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, 1991 – Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, 1986 – Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- 1981–1984, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
- President and Professor of Chemical Engineering, Washington State University, 2016–Pres.
- President and Professor of Chemical Engineering, Kansas State University, 2009–2016.
- Vice President for Research and Economic Development, Mississippi State University, 2007–2009
- Dean of Engineering and holder of Earnest W. and Mary Ann Deavenport, Jr. Endowed Chair, James Worth Bagley College of Engineering, Mississippi State University, 2005–2007.
- Director (Department Head), Professor of Chemical Engineering and holder of Earnest W. Deavenport Jr. Endowed Chair, Dave C. Swalm School of Chemical Engineering, Mississippi State University, 2001–2004.
- Department Chair and Associate Professor, Chemical Engineering Department, Michigan Technological University, 1998–2001.
- Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, 1995–1998.
- Director, Ph.D. Program in Energy Engineering, University of North Dakota (UND), 1994–1995.
- Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering, University of North Dakota, 1991–1995.
- Graduate Research Assistant, Virginia Tech, 1986–1991.
- Instructor of Chemical Engineering, Virginia Tech, Summer 1986, 1987.
- Catalysis, Surface Science, Materials Science
- Distinguished Eagle Scout, 2013
- Distinguished Trooper Award, 1st Infantry Division, Ft. Riley, KS.
- Chief Executive Leadership Award from the Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), 2012
- Virginia Tech Graduate Alumni Achievement Award, 2011
- Member, Phi Kappa Phi, Kansas State University, 2011
- Honorary Member, Golden Key International Honour Society, Kansas State, 2010
- Fellow, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE), 2008.
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2007
- Eminent Engineer, Tau Beta Pi Honorary Engineering Society, Mississippi Alpha, 2005
- Omega Chi Epsilon Honorary Chemical Engineering Society, Alpha Eta Chapter, 2002.
- “Outstanding Professor in Chemical Engineering”, Mississippi State University, 2002
- Virginia Tech Outstanding Young Alumnus Award, 2000-2001
- ASEE Outstanding Teaching Award, North Midwest Section, 1999
- MTU Academy of Teaching Excellence Inductee, 1998
- Raymond W. Fahien Award, Chemical Engineering Division, ASEE, 1997
- MTU University Distinguished Teaching Award Finalist, 1996, 1997, 1998
- NSF CAREER Development Award, 1995-1999
- Dow-ASEE Outstanding Young Faculty Award, 1995-96
- Sigma Xi, 1994
- Outstanding Professor of the Year, UND School of Engineering and Mines, 1992-93
- Dow Graduate Ph.D. Fellowship for Excellence in Teaching, 1987-1991
- Tennessee-Eastman Graduate Fellowship, 1986-1987
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Award, 1986
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Circle, 1984
- Eagle Scout, 1977
Membership in Professional Organizations
- American Institute for Chemical Engineers
- American Society for Engineering Education
- American Association for the Advancement of Science