Skip to main content Skip to navigation
The Gene and Linda Voiland School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering

Graduate Admissions

Thank you for your interest in the graduate programs in the Voiland School. The Voiland School offers excellent research facilities, the flexibility to design an individualized academic program, and the ability to work closely with highly engaged faculty. Regardless of whether a student is seeking to study Chemical Engineering or Bioengineering, the application process is as described below. At this point, we do not offer a Bioengineering PhD, per se. Hence, those individuals who desire to obtain a PhD in bioengineering should apply for admission either to the Engineering Science PhD program or for admission to a variety of disciplinary PhD programs (e.g. Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Neuroscience, Pharmaceutical Science, Veterinary Science, Molecular Bioscience, Materials Science), indicating their interest in bioengineering. When you complete the application, please also send a note to Samantha Bailey (, graduate student coordinator, to inform her of your application.

To apply for admission to the graduate program:

Deadline: To receive full consideration, your application to the WSU Graduate School and letters of recommendation should be received no later than the Graduate School’s Priority Application Deadline. Those who apply early will be given priority consideration for incentive funding. Applications that are received after this date, should first contact Samantha Bailey ( to discuss the application process for either Chemical Engineering or Bioengineering.

WSU adheres to the acceptance policy of the Council of Graduate Schools. If a student accepts an offer of admission before April 15 and subsequently desires to withdraw his/her acceptance, the student must submit their resignation of appointment, in writing, before April 15. An acceptance of admission, either given or left in force after April 15, commits the student to not accept another offer of admission without first obtaining a written release from the institution whose admission offer he/she had previously accepted.

Admission offers from the Voiland School often include competitive financial support, in the form of teaching assistantships (TA, teaching support in an undergraduate course with a time commitment of approximately 20 hrs/week), scholarships, traineeship, or a research assistantship (RA, with a time commitment of approximately 20 hrs/week to the research project, which may or may not be associated with the student’s research program). TA and RA support includes a stipend, payment of tuition and comprehensive health insurance.

International applicants who are offered admission may be asked to submit evidence of full financial support in order to obtain a student visa. If certification of outside support is necessary, the Graduate School will inform applicants of required procedures in the letter of admission. Additional certification must be provided for any dependents who will accompany the student.

View of WSU campus

Admission Categories

The Voiland School admits students in the MS and PhD programs.

  1. Admission to the PhD program does not require that the student already hold a Master’s degree. Students whose ultimate goal is to earn a PhD are advised to apply directly to this program. A PhD degree is a research degree. It usually requires four or more years of study, but most is this time is taken in the completion of an original research project. The design of the research project will be largely the result of the student’s independent effort, working closely with a faculty advisor. A PhD dissertation should comprise material equivalent to at least three publishable papers, and is essential preparation for a career as an independent researcher.
  2. Students are also admitted into the Master’s program. In general, a Master’s degree with thesis is earned in 1.5 years and involves research developing out or work proposed by the advisor. The Master’s degree is predominantly a course-work degree, but each student is required to develop a thesis which should comprise material equivalent to at least one publishable paper.
  3. Students holding BS degrees in chemistry or other science fields who seek to obtain an advanced degree in chemical engineering are encouraged to participate in the conversion program. This program allows such students to obtain chemical engineering advanced degrees with minimal remedial coursework.