Faculty & Staff
Dmitri Tolkatchev, PhD
Dmitri Tolkatchev, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor (Career Track)
Collaborating with Dr. Alla Kostyukova
Protein chemistry and structure, protein-protein and protein-ligand interactions; protein engineering; protein NMR
Office: 340C Wegner Hall
The Gene and Linda Voiland
School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering
1505 Stadium Way, Room 105
P.O. Box 646515
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-6515
Dr. Tolkatchev graduated with honors in 1982 with the title engineer-physicist after 6 years of studies at Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (State University), Dolgoprudny, Russia. He then switched to research in organometallic chemistry and in 1992 he received a Ph.D. in Chemistry from the A.N. Nesmeyanov Institute of Organoelement Compounds of Russian Academy of Sciences. He joined the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK, in 1993 as a postdoc where he studied molecular mechanisms of the mitochondrial electron transport chain. In 1996 he moved to Montreal, Canada and continued his work first at McGill University, and later in the Biomolecular NMR lab of the Biotechnology Research Institute, at the National Research Council Canada. In 2014 he joined WSU as a Research Assistant Professor. In 2021 he was appointed a Career Track Assistant Professor.
- Bioengineering Capstone Project 410/411
- Protein Bioengineering BE 456/556
- Advanced Topics in Chemical Engineering (Model Building Using Molecular Dynamics Simulations and NMR) CHE 581
- Advanced Topics in Chemical Engineering (Molecular Dynamics Simulations) CHE 581
- Process Simulation CHE 211
- Protein and peptide engineering
- Biomolecular interactions
- Structure and function of proteins involved in cytoskeleton formation
- Folding and biological function of growth factors from the granulin family
- Machine learning
Ongoing Research Projects
NIH RO1 GM120137, 06/01/2017-05/31/2025
Regulation of the actin filament pointed end dynamics in health and disease.
- Smith GE, Tolkatchev D, Risi C, Little M, Gregorio CC, Galkin VE, Kostyukova AS. Ca2+ attenuates nucleation activity of leiomodin. Protein Sci. 2022 Jul;31(7):e4358
- Tolkatchev D, Gregorio CC, Kostyukova AS. The role of leiomodin in actin dynamics: a new road or a secret gate. FEBS J. 2021 Jul 17:10.1111/febs.16128 (Review)
- Tolkatchev D, Kuruba B, Smith GE Jr, Swain KD, Smith KA, Moroz N, Williams TJ, Kostyukova AS. Structural insights into the tropomodulin assembly at the pointed ends of actin filaments. Protein Sci. 2021 Feb;30(2):423-437.
- Tolkatchev D, Smith GE Jr, Schultz LE, Colpan M, Helms GL, Cort JR, Gregorio CC, Kostyukova AS. Leiomodin creates a leaky cap at the pointed end of actin-thin filaments. PLoS Biol. 2020 Sep 8;18(9):e3000848.
- Tolkatchev D, Smith GE Jr, Kostyukova AS. Role of intrinsic disorder in muscle sarcomeres. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 2019;166:311-340. (Review)
- Tolkatchev D, Elnatan D, Nogara L, Ly T, Naber N, Haak K, Meech R, Cooke R, Kostyukova AS. Piperine, an alkaloid inhibiting the super-relaxed state of myosin, binds to the myosin regulatory light chain. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2018 Dec 1;659:75-84.
- Tolkatchev D. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy in Analysis of Granulin Three-Dimensional Structure and Cysteine Bridging. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1806:65-80.
- Tolkatchev D. Large-Scale Generation of Recombinant Granulin Peptides in E. coli. Methods Mol Biol. 2018;1806:51-64.
- Ly T, Krieger I, Tolkatchev D, Krone C, Moural T, Samatey FA, Kang C, Kostyukova AS. Structural destabilization of tropomyosin induced by the cardiomyopathy-linked mutation R21H. Protein Sci. 2018 Feb;27(2):498-508.
- Ni,F., Xu,P., Hossain,S., Tolkatchev,D. Derivatives of collagen-binding hairpin peptides, International patent WO2014059530, 2014-04-24
- Ni,F., Ng,A., Wang,P., Tolkatchev,D. Multimerized single domain antibody ligands of prothrombin as inhibitors of blood and extravascular coagulation, International patent WO 2013123591, 2013-08-29
- Ni,F., Tolkatchev,D., Tonan, K., Xu, P., Hossain, S., Locally active anticoagulants and antiflammatory agents, International patent WO2012142696, 2012-10-26; also published as US20140113854, CA2833614A1
- Filfil,R., Tolkatchev,D., Ni,F., O’Connor-McCourt,M.D., Lenferink, A.E.G., Peptide ligands for clusterin and uses thereof, International patent WO2010118521, 2010- 10-21; also published as US20120121507, CA2756570A1, EP2419440A1, EP2419440A4
- Ni,F., Tolkatchev,D., Su,Z., Polypeptide ligands containing linkers, International patent WO2006000081, 2006-01-05; also published as US20090105116, US8062018, CA2571815A1, EP1766011A1, EP1766011A4, EP1766011B1
- Ni,F., Su,Z., Tolkatchev,D., Natapova,A., Koutychenko,A. Peptide inhibitors of thrombin as potent anticoagulants, International patent WO2004076484, 2004-09- 10; also published as US7456152, US20070042946, US20090137779, CA2515798A1, EP1597279A1
- Ni,F., Su,Z., Xu,P., Tolkatchev,D., Osborne,M., Koutychenko,A. Quantitative ranking of transient ligand binding to target biomolecules by use of nuclear magnetic resonance, International patent WO2003057258, 2003-07-17; also published as US20050287527, CA2472193A1, EP1463952A2