Faculty & Staff
Richard Zollars, Ph.D.
The Gene and Linda Voiland
School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering
1505 Stadium Way, Room 105
P.O. Box 646515
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-6515
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, University of Colorado, 1974
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Colorado, 1972
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1968
- Washington State University 1978-present
- National Science Foundation, program director, 1983–1984
- University of Colorado, assistant professor, 1977–1978
- Union Carbide Corporation, senior engineer, 1974–1977
- Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing, laboratory technician, 1966–1968
- Chemical Engineering: Multiphase chemical reactor design with simultaneous heat and mass transfer, fine particulate processing, cryogenic processing conditions, chemical vapor deposition
- Colloidal/Interfacial Phenomena: Adsorption of surface active Materials, stability of colloids to Brownian and shear-induced coagulation, microcellular and micellar generation of particles
- Engineering Education: Visual tools to improve student
learning, integration of engineering with the K–12 system
- Polymer Science and Engineering: Relationships of polymer structure and composition to reactor type and conditions, especially for heterophase polymerization
- Named Fellow, American Society for Engineering Education, 2012
- Named Fellow, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2008
- Outstanding Teaching Faculty, WSU (Chemical Engineering), 1981, 1982, 1986, 1992, 2001, 2012
- Diary from working at the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics, 2002
- Diary from working at the Whistler Winter Olympics, 2010
- “Does Colloid Shape Affect Detachment of Colloids by a Moving Air-Water Interface?”, with S. Aramrak, M. Flury, J. B. Harsh, and H. P. Davis, Langmuir, 29, 5770 (2013).
- “The Design and Experimental Evaluation of a Scaffolded Software Environment to Improve Engineering Students’ Disciplinary Problem-Solving Skills”, with C. Hundhausen, P. Agrawal, and A. Carter, Journal of Engineering Education, 100(3), 574, (2011).
- “Contact Angles and Surface Free Energies of Aluminosilicate Clays as Affected by Relative Humidity and Exchangeable Cations”, with J. Shang, M. Flury, and J. B. Harsh, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 353, 1 (2010).
- “The Chem-E-Car Competition and the Integration of Process Safety Management”, with D. Crowl and R. Willey, Process Safety Progress, 28(1), 1 (2009).
- “Comparison of Different Methods to Measure Contact Angles of Soil Colloids“, with M. Flury, J. Shang, and J. B. Harsh, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 328, 299(2008).