Faculty & Staff
Yong Wang, Ph.D.
Voiland Distinguished Professor
2008 Voiland School Alumni Awardee
Development of novel catalytic materials and reaction engineering for the conversion of fossil and biomass feedstocks to fuels and chemicals
Office: 153 Wegner Hall 📞509-371-6273
The Gene and Linda Voiland
School of Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering
1505 Stadium Way, Room 105
P.O. Box 646515
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-6515
Dr. Wang joined PNNL in 1994 and was promoted to Laboratory Fellow in 2005. He led the Catalysis and Reaction Engineering Team from 2000 to 2007, and has served as the Associate Director of the Institute for Integrated Catalysis (http://iic.pnl.gov) since 2008. In 2009, Dr. Wang assumed a joint position at Washington State University and PNNL. In this unique position, he continues to be a Laboratory Fellow and associate director of IIC at PNNL and is the Voiland Distinguished Professor in Chemical Engineering at WSU, full professorship with tenure.
Dr. Wang is best known for his leadership in the development of novel catalytic materials and reaction engineering to address the issues related to energy and atom efficiency for converting fossil and biomass feedstocks to fuels and chemicals. Dr. Wang has authored 368 peer reviewed publications in lead scientific journals including Science, Nature group journals, J.Am.Chem.Soc, Angewandt Chemie, Energy and Env. Sci., ACS Catalysis, and the Journal of Catalysis with H index=82 and has more than 31,000 citations. He has co-edited 2 books and 6 special journal issues, and given more than 180 invited presentations since 2001. He is the inventor on 283 issued patents including 110 issued U.S. patents (>90% of his patents are licensed to industries). His discoveries in microchannel reaction technologies led to the formation of Velocys, trading under the London Stock Exchange (VLS). He is a member of the Washington State Academy of Science. He is a fellow of: NAI (National Academy of Inventors), AIChE (American Institute of Chemical Engineers), ACS (American Society of Chemistry), RSC (Royal Society of Chemistry), and AAAS (American Association of the Advancement of Science). He has won numerous awards including the 2021 ACS E.V. Murphree Award in Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 2019 AIChE Catalysis and Reaction Engineering Practice Award, the 2018 American Chemical Society I&EC Division Fellow Award, the 2006 Asian American Engineer of the Year Award, the Presidential Green Chemistry Award, 3 R&D 100 Awards, a Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award from Chemical Engineering at WSU, 2 PNNL Inventor of the Year Awards, a Battelle Distinguished Inventor Award, and was the first recipient of the PNNL Laboratory Director’s Award for Exceptional Scientific Achievement.
He is the past chair of the Energy & Fuel Division of the American Chemical Society, past director of the Catalysis and Reaction Engineering division of AIChE and is on the editorial board of 7 catalysis and energy related journals including ACS Catalysis, JACS Au, and Catalysis Today.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Washington State University, 1993
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, Washington State University, 1992
Selected Awards, Honors, and Societies
- The 2021 American Chemical Society E.V. Murphree Award in Industrial and Engineering Chemistry (2020)
- The American Institute of Chemical Engineers Catalysis and Reaction Engineering Division Practice Award (2019)
- The American Chemical Society I&EC Division Fellow Award (2018)
- Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors (2015)
- Member of the Washington State Academy of Science (2015)
- Director to the Catalysis and Reaction Engineering Division of AIChE (American Institute of Chemical Engineers) (2015-2017)
- Chair elect, ACS (The American Chemical Society) Petroleum Division (2011)
- Fellow of AIChE (American Institute of Chemical Engineers) (2013)
- Fellow of RSC (Royal Society of Chemistry) (2013)
- Fellow of ACS (The American Chemical Society) (2010)
- Fellow of AAAS (The American Association for the Advancement of Science) (2008)
- R&D 100 Award, Fischer-Tropsch fuels using Velocys microchannel technology (2008)
- R&D 100 Award, full-scale vaporizer for automotive fuel cell fuel processor (1999)
- R&D 100 Award, production of chemicals from biologically derived succinic acid (1997)
- Presidential Green Chemistry Award, use of biomass to produce useful chemicals (1999)
- Distinguished Alumni Achievement Award, Dept of Chem.Eng., Washington State University (2008)
- Asian American Engineer of the Year Award (2006)
- 2020 Safety Award, Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture, Washington State University (2020)
- 2014-2015 Outstanding Research Faculty, Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture, Washington State University (April 9, 2015)
- 2013-2014 Outstanding Research Faculty, Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture, Washington State University (April 10, 2014)
- PNNL Inventor of the Year (2006)
- PNNL Inventor of the Year (2004)
- Distinguished Battelle Inventor (2004)
- First recipient of PNNL Laboratory Director’s Award for Exceptional Scientific Achievement (2005)
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Washington State University (1993)
- National Academy of Engineering 2005 Japan-American Frontiers of Engineering Symposium, Japan, 2005
- 10th National Academy of Engineering Annual Symposium on Frontiers of Engineering, Irvine, CA, September 9–11, 2004
- Scientific advisory board, Center for Environmental Beneficial Catalysis Center, University of Kansas (2011–2017)
- Editorial board, ACS Catalysis (2010–present)
- Editorial board, JACS Au (2020-present)
- Editorial board, Catalysis Today (2006–present)
- Editor of Journal of Energy Chemistry (2012–2017)
- Editorial board, Journal of Nanomaterials (2005–2020)
- Editorial board, Biofuel Research Journal (2014-present)
- Editorial board, Chinese Journal of Catalysis (2014-present)
- Honorary Chairman of Trends in Renewable Energy (Future Energy Service and Publishing), (2015-present)
- Chair elect, ACS Petroleum Division (2011)
- Co-Chair, ACS Energy & Fuel Division (2012)
- Chair, Program Committee of the ACS Petroleum division (2006 –2008)
- Secretary of Pacific Coast Catalysis Society (2006–2009)
Selected Recent Publications
- D.Jiang, Y. Yao, T. Li, G.Wan, X.Pereira-Hernández, Y.Lu, J.Tian, K.Khivantsev, M.H. Engelhard, C.Sun, C.E. García-Vargas, A,S. Hoffman, S. R. Bare, A.K. Datye, L.Hu, Y.Wang, “Tailoring the Local Environment of Pt in Single-Atom Pt1/CeO2 Catalysts for Robust Low-Temperature CO Oxidation”, Angewandte Chemie.Int.Ed, 2021, DOI: 10.1002/anie.202108585/li>
- H.Xiong, D.Kunwar, D.Jiang, C.E. García-Vargas, H.Li, C.Du, G.Canning, X.I.Pereira-Hernandez, Q.Wan, S.Lin, S.C.Purdy, J.T.Miller, K.Leung, S.S.Chou, H.H.Brongersma, Rik ter Veen, J.Huang, H.Guo*, Y.Wang*, A.K.Datye*, “Engineering catalyst supports to stabilize PdOx two-dimensional rafts for water-tolerant methane oxidation”, Nature Catalysis, 2021, doi: 10.1038/s41929-021-00680-4.
- K.Khivantsev, N.R.Jaegers, H.A.Aleksandrov, L.Kovarik, M.A.Derewinski, Y.Wang, G.N. Vayssilov, J.Szanyi, “Biomimetic CO oxidation below -100 ⁰C by a nitrate-containing metal-free microporous system”, Nature Comm., 2021, doi:10.26434/chemrxiv.12368876.v1
- K.Khivantsev, X.Wei, L. Kovarik, N.R.Jaegers, E.D.Walter, P.Tran, Y.Wang, J.Szanyi, “Pd/FER vs Pd/SSZ-13 Passive NOx Adsorbers: Adsorbate-controlled Location of Atomically Dispersed Pd(II) in FER Determines High Activity and Stability”, Angewandte Chemie.Int.Ed, 2021, DOI: 10.1002/anie.202107554
- H.Li, Q.Wan, C. Du, Q. Liu, J. Qi, X. Ding, S. Wang, S.Wan, J. Lin, C.Tian, L. Li, T.Peng, W.Zhao, H. Zhang, J. Huang, H. Guo, S.Lin, A.K.Datye, H.Xiong, Y. Wang, “Vapor-Phase Self-Assembly to Generate Single Atom Catalysts with Weak Metal-Support Interaction”, Chem, 2021, DOI: 10.2139/ssrn.3835429
- J.Dong, K.Konstantin, Y.Wang, “Complete low-temperature methane oxidation to enable efficient emission control in natural gas vehicles”, ACS Catal., 2020, doi:10.1021/acscatal.0c03338.
- Lin, H.Wang, Y. Zhao, J.Fu, D.Mei, N.Jaegers, F.Gao, Y. Wang, “Elucidation of Active Sites in Aldol Condensation of Acetone over Single-Facet Dominant Anatase TiO2 (101) and (001) Catalysts”, JACS Au, 2020, DOI: 10.1021/jacsau.0c00028
- J.Tian, J.Tan, Z.Zhang, P.Han, M.Yin, S. Wan, J.Lin, S.Wang, Y. Wang, “Direct Conversion of Methane to Formaldehyde and CO on B2O3 Catalysts”, Nature Comm., 2020, doi: 10.1038/s41467-020-19517-y
- J.Zhang, J.Sun, L.Kovarik, M.H.Engelhard, L.Du, B.Dudduth, H.Li, Y.Wang, “Surface Engineering of Earth-abundant Fe Catalysts for Selective Hydrodeoxygenation of Phenolics in Liquid Phase”, Chemical Science, 2020, DOI: 10.1039/D0SC00983K
- K.Khivantsev, C.Vargas, J.Tian, L.Kovarik, N.R. Jaegers, J.Szanyi, Y.Wang, “Economizing on Precious Metals in Three-Way Catalysts: Thermally Stable and Highly Active Single-Atom Rhodium on Ceria for NO Abatement under Dry and Industrially Relevant Conditions”, Angew.Chem.Int.Ed., 2020, DOI: 10.1002/anie.202010815 and 10.1002/ange.202010815
- L.Du, V.Prabhakaran, X.Xie, S.Park, Y.Wang, Y.Shao, “Low-PGM and PGM-Free Catalysts for Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cells: Stability Challenges and Material Solutions”, Advanced Materials, 2020, doi:10.1002/adma.201908232
- N.R. Jaegers, J.Lai, Y.He, E.Walter, D.A. Dixon, M.Vasiliu, Y.Chen, C.Wang, M.Y.Hu, K.T.Mueller, I.E. Wachs, Y.Wang, J.Hu, “Tungsten oxide-promotion mechanism for supported TiOcatalysts during NOx abatement: structural effects revealed by V MAS NMR”, Angew.Chem.Int.Ed., 2019, 58(36) 12609-12616, doi:10.1002/anie.201904503.
- X.Isidro Pereira-Hernández, A.DeLaRiva, V.Muravev, D.Kunwar, H.Xiong, B.Sudduth, M.Engelhard, L.Kovarik, E.J.M. Hensen, Y.Wang, A.K.Datye, “Tailoring the activity of Pt/CeO2 catalysts via high-temperature vapor-phase synthesis”, Nature Comm., 2019, doi:10.1038/s41467-019-09308-5.
- J.Tian, J.Tan, M.Xu, Z.Zhang, S.Wan, S.Wang, J.Lin, Y.Wang, “Propane oxidative dehydrogenation over highly selective hexagonal boron nitride catalysts: the role of oxidative coupling of methyl”, Science Advances, 2019, doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aav8063.
- L.Nie, D.Mei, H.Xiong, B.Peng, Z.Ren,X.Hernandez, A.DeLaRiva, M.Wang, M.H. Engelhard, L. Kovarik, A.K. Datye, Y.Wang, “Activation of surface lattice oxygen in single-atom Pt/CeO2 for low-temperature CO oxidation”, Science, 2017, 358, 1419-1423, doi: 10.1126/science.aao2109.
- J.Jones, H.Xiong, A.T. DeLaRiva, E.J. Peterson, H.Pham, S.R. Challa, G.Qi, S.Oh, M.H. Wiebenga, X.Hernández, Y.Wang, A.K. Datye, “Thermallystable single-atom platinum-on-ceria catalysts via atomtrapping”, Science, 2016, 353(6295), 150-154. doi: 10.1126/science.aaf8800.
- J.Sun, R.A.L.Baylon, C.Liu, D.Mei, K.J.Martin, P.Venkitasubramanian, Y.Wang, “Key roles of Lewis acid-base pairs on ZnxZryOz in direct ethanol/acetone to isobutene conversion”, J.Am.Chem.Soc., 2016, 2, 507-517. doi: 10.1021/jacs.5b07401.